Division of Surgery

Modern medicine is based on the latest technology and diagnostics; however, we believe that every successful department mainly comprise of well-performing people: doctors, nurses and technicians, medics and hospital attendants and all others who try to make the patient’s stay as comfortable as possible, turn their suffering into bearable experience, and ensure fast recovery and effective treatment. There is no chain link in the treatment process that could be left out without at least slightly impacting the treatment outcome.

It is impossible to list all those who on a daily basis build bridges between people, professional and human ties, in order to provide our patients with the standards of treatment comparable to those in the most developed health care environments. Our mission is to maintain professional development, while always keep our focus on the patients with their fears, hopes and expectations.

 

HISTORY OF THE DIVISION OF SURGERY IN IGH

The beginnings of the Division of Surgery date back to 1949 when a civilian hospital started to operate in the building of a children’s sanatorium constructed at the tip of the Izola peninsula in 1927. Surgery was taken over by Dr Štrukelj, a surgeon from Trieste, together with his assistant. Prior to his arrival, the patients from the Primorje region in need of surgical treatment were provided with this kind of care in Trieste. Already the following year, he was joined by two eminent war surgeons, Dr Pišot and Dr Bervar. They mainly focused on acute surgical conditions and septic complications. In 1953, the professional control over the hospital was taken over by Prof Dr Božidar Lavrič, the then Head of the Surgical Clinic in Ljubljana. He was sending his eminent surgeons to Izola hospital for one month (Prof Dr Benedik, Prof Dr Žumer, Prof Dr Derganc, Chief Physician Dr Stare, Prof Dr Šabec, Prof Dr Košak and Prof Dr Muller), which resulted in an expansion in the number and range of surgeries. In 1954, the management of the hospital was taken over by Dr Ivo Zidarič who had previously worked on the Surgical Clinic in Ljubljana. Despite the harsh conditions Dr Zidarič managed to renew the surgical ward which thus acquired 24 additional beds, a new x-ray department, two new operating theatres and associated intensive care, new outpatient facilities and even a physiotherapy department with sixteen beds. After the death of Dr Zidarič in 1966, his position was taken by Dr Jože Trstenjak who kept it for nearly fifteen years. During this period, the number of young specialists significantly increased, which resulted in the rising number of surgeries and their broadened scope. At the end of the seventies, Dr Mario Gasparini became the head of the Department of Surgery and made a lot of effort to move it from the old city hospital premises to a newly built hospital on the Izola hill. In November 1982, the Department of Surgery was the first to move to a very modern hospital. In the following years, other departments which had been scattered around in various hospitals on the coast also moved, which enabled a more quality and holistic patient care. Then, the hospital was taking care of patients from Slovenian Istria and the Karst, and also from a large part of Croatian Istria until Slovenia gained its independence. After the departure of Dr Gasparini in 1992, the management of the Department of Surgery was in the hands of Dr Stanislav Mahne. He was among the first in Slovenia who introduced modern laparoscopic techniques in the care of patients with gastrointestinal pathology. In 2000, his position was taken over by Dr Duilio Peroša who encouraged the introduction of arthroscopic techniques in the treatment of joint pathologies. In 2002, Dr Milan Jakomin became the head of Surgery and during this period some of the most demanding surgeries (pancreas, aorta, pelvis, etc.) turned into routine ones. Since the end of 2008, Dr Malden Gasparini has been the head of the Department of Surgery.

asist. dr. Mladen Gasparini, dr. med.

Head of the Division of Surgery

Karmen Jakomin, dipl. m. s.

Head nurse of the Division of Surgery

Maša Fabjančič

SECRETARIAT OF THE division of surgery
+386 5 660 64 11